- 0.5 l pomegranate juice or 6-8 pomegranates
- 1 cup sugar
- a couple of squirts of lemon or lime juice
1. If you are starting with pomegrantates, squeeze out as much juice as possible. Strain it through a sieve or cloth. If you are starting with juice you have bought, just skip this step.
2. Pour the juice into a large saucepan. Add the sugar and bring it to the boil. Stir all the time.
3. Let it simmer on very low heat for 1 h, stir every now and then. Squirt in some lime juice after about half an hour (or lemon) – just a couple of squirts from half a fruit.
4. After 1 h, the mixture will be thick and delicious, like a very decadent syrup. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.(I have never tried freezing it but will try and add the result here!)
Image from pomegranates.org